10 Endangered Ocean Animals: Happy Endangered Species Day!
10 Endangered Marine Animals
1. Maui’s Dolphin: found off of New Zealand, only 55 individuals remain
2. Northern Right Whale: found in Atlantic Ocean, only 350 individuals remain
3. Vaquita: small dolphin found off of Baja Peninsula, Mexico, 500-600 remain
4. Mediterranean (less than 400 remain) and Hawaiian Monk Seals (approximately 1100 remain)
5. Sea Turtles: 6 or the 7 species of sea turtles are endangered (Green, Hawksbill, Kemp’s Ridley, Leatherback, Loggerhead, and Olive Ridley)
6. Staghorn Coral: has declined by 98% in the Caribbean since 1980
7. Beluga Sturgeon: hunted for their caviar (eggs), 1100 remain in the Caspian Sea
8. Coelacanth: an ancient order of fishes, considered the most endangered order in the world
9. Southern Sea Otter: up to 2,300 individuals remain
10. Bluefin Tuna: as few as 25,000 mature individuals remain
Disclaimer: There are hundreds of ocean species that are endangered (1,000’s if you consider the animals and plants we have yet to discover). I chose the top ten endangered species that I felt people might have heard of.
UPDATE: As of May 2015 less than 100 Vaquita remain
World Wildlife Fund
Smithsonian Ocean Portal